Yale-New Haven Hospital,
20 York Street,
New Haven, CT
Go to the East Pavilion. Take the elevator to the 2nd floor and sign in at the Diagnostic Imaging Admission desk.
A PET scan allows the physicians to observe the changes in brain metabolism and chemistry. The PET scan uses radioactive isotopes to outline the size, shape, and location of organs. It is used in the brain to provide a measure of organ function.
- Do not eat or drink for 6 hours prior to exam.
- The test is not painful; however there will be an IV inserted which may cause some discomfort.
- You will be injected with the radioactive isotope and then wait 1 hour.
- The scan itself is approximately 8 minutes long.
- If you have had a CT scan, the experience of being "inside" the PET scan is similar.
- Allow 2 hours for the total procedure.
- Adult safety & use information
- Child safety & use information